Assignment And Subletting Meaning Of Christmas

Question: What is the difference between assignment and subletting?


Assignment and subletting occur in instances when an existing lessee (tenant) wishes to abandon his lease before the date specified in the lease agreement.

An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the entire property and giving over of proprietary rights under the lease to a new tenant. A sublease only transfers a part of the interest in the property. So when you assign a lease you give up your rights in relation to the property and the lease, when subletting you retain these rights and share them with the sublessee.

A sublease can apply to a physical part of the property, or for a period of time within the existing lease. This might happen when an existing tenant, the ‘head tenant’, wishes to rent out a part of the property such as a room or a basement to another person, the ‘sub-tenant’, without giving up the entire property, OR if they wish to rent out the entire property for a period of time within their fixed-term lease. The sub-tenant treats the head tenant as their landlord, as the head tenant retains his tenancy agreement with the actual landlord and assumes liability on behalf of the sub-tenant for any loss or damage they may cause.

You will need the consent of the landlord in order to assign lease or sublet – before you do so, speak directly with your landlord or consult a leasing lawyer.

Answered by Emma Jervis

Emma is an experienced franchise lawyer and litigator who has successfully helped many clients achieve commercial and workable solutions to their legal problems. With over 10 years legal experience, Emma has run many cases in all tiers of the NSW Court system and Family Court of Australia, as well as having many years experience in advising clients of their legal rights in both the commercial and family law spheres. Emma is also experienced in drafting a range of documents, including franchise documents and complex commercial contracts.

Where do first year students live?

Most new students live in Totem Park, Place Vanier and Orchard Commons. However, enrolment is growing at UBC, which means more students are eligible for a guaranteed room in residence. Some first-year students are also assigned to Ritsumeikan-UBC House.

Will I have a similar experience to students in Place Vanier, Totem Park, and Orchard Commons?

While living in suite-style residence is different than traditional-style residence, there are many similarities and ways to get involved. In your residence Commonsblock there’s a Front Desk, an onsite professional Residence Life Manager, helpful staff, study spaces, and a market. Most importantly, you will live with other first-year students and have access to the same resources that support students in their transition to UBC. These include Residence Advisors, events and activities that will help you meet other students, have fun, and succeed academically.

Is there a meal plan available?

Yes. UBC’s optional Savings Plus Meal Plan offers discounts at many campus food spots. Many new students find it helpful to purchase a meal plan while adjusting to the busy lifestyle of a university student. And you can use the plan to meet new people and mingle with friends in the dining rooms at Totem Park, Place Vanier, and Orchard Commons.

Do I have to bring my own kitchen supplies for cooking?

Each shared unit is equipped with a small kitchen (fridge, stove, oven, and microwave) for unit-mates to share. You will need to supply your own cookware, cutlery, dishes, cleaning supplies and toilet paper. Don’t worry—these are locally available for purchase at stores such as the UBC Bookstore, Home Hardware, Safeway and Save-On Foods. We have a handy online packing list to help students in suite-style residences prepare for the year ahead. We suggest contacting your roommates online before moving in to coordinate shared items.

Will I be living with upper-year students?

There may be some new-to-UBC, upper-year students living in your residence. However, we cluster first-year students to live together.

Are there options if I prefer to live somewhere else?

Students living in first-year residence can request to switch rooms or transfer to another first-year residence. We try our best to accommodate these requests but cannot make guarantees.

What happens at Ritsumeikan-UBC House during the winter break?

Ritsumeikan-UBC House residents are allowed to stay in their units during the winter break. That said, most first-year residents choose to go home or leave campus during this time period. Totem Park, Place Vanier and Orchard Commons residences close during the break—students are not allowed to stay in their rooms.

Will there be First Year academic support?

Your Residence Advisors are there to support you by creating academic programs to enhance your experience in residence. They will also be more than happy to refer you to some great campus resources that would cater to your academic needs.

What will happen with the $841.13 deposit I made toward the Meal Plan?

When you were initially offered a residence space, you paid a $1,741.13 deposit. $841.13 of this deposit was for the residence meal plan which is only available to, and mandatory for, students assigned to Totem Park, Place Vanier and Orchard Commons. If you are assigned to Ritsumeikan-UBC House, $250 of your meal plan deposit is transferred to a UBCcard Plan to support and assist you through your initial transition to living in residence. The remaining $591.13 is transferred to your residence account, which will be applied to your future fees.

How much does it cost?

The meal plan costs $5,495.28 for the Winter Session Contract. See the Residence Meal Plan page for a breakdown of meal plan fees.

When do I pay?

Fees are accepted in three instalments: when you accept the offer, late September, and early January.

What if my card is lost or stolen?

Use the Online Service Centre to freeze your meal plan account. File a report and get a new card from the UBC Carding Office. Then reactivate your account.

What if I have money left on my card at the end of the term?

There are a few options, including transferring the balance to another meal plan, putting it on a gift card, or applying for a refund.

What about meal plans for other residents?

Students in other residences and commuter students can purchase a Savings Plus Meal Plan or UBCcard Plan for added convenience and savings at campus eateries. These are optional.

What if someone calls the main office to get in touch with me?

To comply with privacy law, we don’t release information about any residents unless consent is provided.

Who do I contact about lost or stolen keys?

Visit the Front Desk immediately to file a report.

What if residence property needs maintenance?

Use the Online Service Centre to send a maintenance request. Do not attempt to fix residence property on your own.

Does UBC cover damages to my personal property?

No. UBC’s insurance coverage is for the physical structure of buildings (walls, roof, flooring) and components (fridges, stoves) only. The university is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal property, regardless of the cause. We recommend that all personal belongings be covered by private insurance. Your family plan may cover you. BCAA is also an option.

What if there is a conflict within residence?

All residents must adhere to Residence Standards. Conflicts or breaches of Residence Standards are investigated by Residence Life staff.

What happens during the winter break?

Place Vanier and Totem Park residents are not permitted to stay in their rooms during the winter holiday break. Students in other residences are permitted to stay, however, campus services are limited.

When is the deadline to move out of residence?

Read your Residence Contract. There are no exceptions.

Where can I dispose of garbage and unwanted items when I move out?

All residents must move out sustainably. Each residence has a sorting area for food scraps, donations, recyclables, e-waste and trash.

Are there fees when moving out?

Students face assessments if there’s any damage to residence property or required cleaning was not completed to our satisfaction.

When can I apply to live in residence?

New students usually apply to live in residence at the end of the UBC Admissions process in February. Student Housing and Hospitality Services also accepts applications directly through the Online Service Centre or print an application form. See Important Dates to confirm the deadline to apply.

How are residence offers sent?

All residence offers are sent by email.

What if I don’t respond to the offer by the deadline?

Please contact Student Housing and Hospitality Services immediately.

What if I’m unable to pay a deposit?

Please contact Student Housing and Hospitality Services immediately.

What if I don’t want to live in the area I’m offered?

If you want to live in residence, we recommend you accept the offer. If the offer is declined, you will not receive another one. If you are unhappy with your room, you may apply for a room transfer in mid-September. Transfers are considered on a case-by-case basis and not guaranteed.

How much does it cost to live in residence?

Fees vary by residence and room type.

How can I pay fees?

There are a few ways. See Fees & Payments to find an option that works best for you.

How can I check my account balance?

Use the Online Service Centre. When a payment is received, a credit will appear on your account.

Can someone else call the main office on my behalf to ask about my application or fees?

We will only release this information if you provided consent to release it on your application form. See how we value privacy.

Do I have to buy a meal plan?

Students who live at Place Vanier, Totem Park and Orchard Commons must purchase the Residence Meal Plan. New students assigned to other residences can purchase an optional Savings Plus Meal Plan.

Can I bring my car?

Parking fees are extra. Spots are allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Can I contact my roommate (s) before moving in?

Yes, if there’s consent. Use the Online Service Centre to consent to release your information to each other. Roommates usually contact each other in mid-August.

When can I move into residence?

You will receive specific move in details (date/time) by email before your move in date. It’s important you arrive at the time indicated to ensure a smooth experience for everyone.

Can I move in early?

Early arrivals are typically not permitted. Check eligibility. 

How are rooms assigned in Winter Session for students who don't get priority?

We use a random computer system in Winter Session Residences. All eligible applications are treated equally.

When is the application deadline?

Around Febuary 1. See important dates to confirm.

What happens after I apply?

Residence offers are sent by email in mid-February. Those selected will receive a deadline to accept the offer and pay a deposit. All others will be put on a waitlist.

What are my chances of receiving a Winter Session Residence offer?

Less than 10 per cent of returning students who apply get an offer.

How do I increase my chances of getting into residence?

Apply to live in Year Round Residence. Once accepted, you will be eligible for a new contract each year until you finish your studies at UBC or choose to move out. Year Round residents are often eligible to sublet.

What about roommate requests?

After receiving a residence offer, go online to update your application preferences and submit a roommate grouping request.

Are sublets allowed?

Sublets are typically only approved for students who have a Year Round Contract and usually in the summer.

Do I need permission to sublet?

Yes. Residents do not have the automatic right to sublet their accommodation. Sublets are permitted only in certain residences, and only when the resident has satisfied all applicable requirements. Submitting an application does not guarantee that the request will be approved.

Who am I able to sublet my unit to?

The sublessee must meet at least one of the following requirements:
  • A current UBC student (this includes UBC-O students) who will be registered in credit courses or in a graduate program at UBC, during the sublet term.
  • A UBC student employed by a UBC department in a research capacity. Proof of employment is required. A copy of the appointment notice is sufficient.
  • A student from another university performing research directed by a UBC department. Proof of UBC sponsorship and student status is required. Please attach proof of UBC employment of sponsorship.
  • If the sublet request is for the summer session (May-August), the sublessee was registered as a UBC student in the immediately preceding session (i.e. Term 2 of the Winter Session).

The sublessee must also meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be in good standing with SHHS (i.e. no current evictions or denial of visiting privileges on file and in good financial standing).
  • Be the same gender as the resident in shared units (not applicable to studio or one-bedroom units).
  • Meet the age requirements applicable to your resident.

When am I able to sublet my unit?

Residents may sublet their unit during the months of May – August. Sublets during winter session may be considered in situations in which the university has required the student to leave campus to complete their degree requirements (e.g. Co-op program).

Which Residence areas are able to sublet their unit?

Residents living in Marine Drive, Thunderbird, Ponderosa Commons, Iona House and Fraser Hall can apply to sublet their room.

What is the shortest amount of time I can sublet for?

Thirty (30) days. Short term periods (less than a month) are not usually approved.

How far in advance do I need to submit my sublet application form?

You should apply at least five days before the requested sublet start date.

When am I able to sublet my unit?

Residents may sublet their unit during the months of May – August. Sublets during winter session may be considered in situations in which the university has required the student to leave campus to complete their degree requirements (e.g. Co-op program).

I just received my housing offer and it is less than 30 days before I will be leaving town. What should I do?

Turn in your form as soon as you possibly can. You may not receive a response from the RLM prior to your departure, but we will contact you as soon as possible.

How long does it take approximately for my form to be processed once I submit it?

The process of reviewing forms for approval takes between two to four weeks.

Can Student Housing & Hospitality Services help me to find a sublessee?

Residents can use our sublet forum to connect with others interesting in subletting.

Who pays for rent while I am subletting my residence unit?

You remain fully responsible under your residence contract during the sublet, which includes paying rent and other related feeds on time during the sublet term.

I am leaving campus before my sublessee arrives. How can they get the keys to my unit?

You may drop off your unit keys at the Front Desk before you leave campus and explain that they are for your sublessee. They will be placed in an envelope with the sublessee’s name on it and left in your mailbox. When your sublessee arrives they must provide the Front Desk photo ID in order to receive their envelope with the keys.

Can my sublessee receive mail while they are staying in my residence unit?

Yes. All registered sublessees are eligible to receive mail to your mailbox during their stay.  You are responsible for providing them the mailbox key.

What happens if my sublessee loses the key to my unit?

Since your sublessee will be registered in our system, the Front Desk will be able to provide them with a new key.  A charge for the replacement key will be posted to your Housing account as the contract holder of the unit.

What happens if my sublessee violates the UBC Student Housing & Hospitality Services Residence Agreement?

As the contract holder, you remain responsible for the actions of your sublessee.  If your sublessee violates our Standards Agreement, you may face the consequences of their actions.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *